Friday, July 6, 2012

One Rep Max

Today was my first day back to crossfit in over a week.  And to my surprise, it was time to retest some lifts including back squat, press or push press and deadlift. I was a little slow on my back squat as I wanted to warm up prior to getting to the heavier weights so I didn't get to the press or deadlift.

I started crossfit on August 8th of last year and on 8/16/11 I did a back squat of 133#.  That was a big deal for me.  I'd never done any type of lifting and was really impressed with myself.

For whatever reason, I haven't had the opportunity to retest until today.  I knew I could beat this and push myself to something higher.  I was thinking 153# would be my max. To my surprise, I backsquatted 188# today.  It was tough.  My coach made some pointers here and there about the varying range of how low I go and making sure I have a deep breath before actually squatting.

I wish I had gotten to push press as I need to retest that one as last August was the last time I tested.  After crossfit, I headed to bootcamp.  The last one as a camper and not a teacher and it was tough.  I needed it though, a week of vacation including yummy food and drinks had me feeling a little bad about myself.  We did tons of squats, lunges, high knees running and tons of core work.  I couldn't wait to get home to shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment