Thursday, July 12, 2012

The run that wasn't

I planned all week on my day off I'd embark on an 8 mile run to help me prepare for this half marathon I signed up for on Aug 12.  (Holy shit it's a month away)

Yesterday I mentioned my knee was hurting slightly.  I iced it, took ibuprofen, elevated it, rested it and put tape on it.  I took it easy the rest of the day with studying and a little cleaning.

I slept in til 8:30am this morning and got an extra 30 mins and finally got out of bed at 9am.  I charged my garmin (still hadn't charged it since the 5k in Memphis) and got ready to run.  My knee wasn't at 100% but I knew I could still run slower and get the miles in. 

I was out the door and in the sun and felt great.  I started down the path of the 8 mile route (which is also every other mile route) and my knee was not happy.  I didn't want to turn around and admit defeat.  I decided to turn on the first block and see how I feel a little further down.  I know about 3 different routes that vary in distance depending on which road I take.  I could tell very easily that my knee wouldn't hold up for a 5k.  (Yikes!  I have a 5k on Saturday).  So I told myself I'd run a mile and then head back home.  I made it 1.25 miles before stopping to walk the rest of the block home.  I was upset and frustrated.  And then I realized that I'm protecting myself from further injury by not running those 8 miles.  I came home, put it up and put ice on it.  I've taken some ibuprofen and just resting.

I have some errands to run today and will be back to rest it while studying later today. 

Frustrating!  Though as long as I take it easy, I'm hoping it won't be anything serious.  Until next week, where I'm hoping to run 8 miles at my half marathon pace of 9mins to finally break that 2 hour mark. *crosses my fingers*

No comments:

Post a Comment