Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My fastest 10k and half marathon goals

Last Thursday, I set out on a training run.  I had every intention of going 10 miles.  With the half coming up, I knew I needed some miles.  Though you know what they say, the best laid plans....  I had taken a nice shoulder to my jaw the night before during a scrimmage and was taken down.  Though I was fine, my jaw was super sore when I woke up on Thursday. 

I set out on my run-knowing I needed miles.  As I was getting into my groove, my jaw was super sore still.  I told myself I needed to run at least half of the half.  So I set out for at least 6.5 miles.  I got into a good rhythm and before you know it, it was time to turn around.  I wore a 3/4 sleeve jacket as it was overcast when I set out but by the time I turned around I did not need it anymore.  I was going to take it off once I had to stop at a stop light to cross the street, yet none of them stopped so I stayed in a steady rhythm the entire time.

My total distance was 6.7 miles in 1 hr and 4 mins.  My goal for the half marathon is 2 hours. 



My splits for this run were:
  • mile 1 9:27
  • mile 2 10:01 
  • mile 3 9:34
  • mile 4 9:26
  • mile 5 9:29 
  • mile 6 9:36
  • .7 6:36

I started to look up previous times: (THIS MEANS I SET A PR)
-My last actual 10k race was in 2007 for a time of 1:16 (my first year of running)

-I did a 10k as part of a tri relay team and my times were
  • 2010 10k with tri relay was 1:25
  • 2009 10k with tri relay was 1:15
If I keep my miles under 9:30s, I can accomplish a great pace and a PR on Sunday.  Also, my best half to date was in 2009 Rock n Roll New Orleans for a time of 2:35 with an avg pace of 11:54/miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment